Monday 16 February 2009

Countrymusicdisco


I missed the release of Jeb Loy Nichol's latest long player, 'Parish Bar', but I'm making up for lost time. You should too.

He's one of those artists who just keep cropping up. It started with Country Got Soul, put out by Jeb & Ross Allen on Casual Records, their label. And then, in a field in a summer, I went to watch the Country Got Soul Revue which was unfortunately cancelled so we got an hour of Jeb and his guitar. Then someone told me he was in Underwolves too. A covermount CD included his incredible bouncy folky rootsy dubby cover of Johnny Cash's 'Worried Man'.

And then he DJed at my friends Calum & Anna's wedding, becuase he lives near them in mid-Wales. As you'd least expect from someone born in Wyoming, brought up on jazz, country and punk in Texas and there for the birth of hip-hop in New York.

If this leaves you scratching your head as to what the music sounds like, then have a listen to the free MP3 he has posted on his site. The title is a clue, "Countrymusicdisco", but if you really wanted to define his unique sound, you'd a lot more letters than that.

Jeb Loy Nichols - Countrymusicdisco

Buy the new album - Parish Bar

1 comment:

  1. I remember his performance at the Big Chill. I remember it was a beautiful sunny, gorgeous blue sky day and he was singing miserable songs about rain and pain and such like.

    It just seemed ridiculous to me at the time. It was probably more my headspace and the fact I was dissapointed about the lack of country got soul revue but it didn't work for me.

    Liking that track on his site though.

    ReplyDelete